Installing a new hard drive into a Dell Dimensions 5150
m***@dreamdates.co.uk
2006-07-20 15:54:12 UTC
Hi

I don't know if this is possible, but I have a Dell Dimensions 5150 and
would like to install a hard drive from an old computer as the main
hard drive. The hard drive in the computer seems to have a different
type of connection than I've seen before and nothing I can do nothing
to make it boot from the older hard drive.

Is it possible to install a hard drive with the tradional connections
into Dell Dimension computers.

Thanks for your help

Regards
Doughnut
Regards
Tom Scales
2006-07-20 17:06:02 UTC
Post by m***@dreamdates.co.uk
Hi
I don't know if this is possible, but I have a Dell Dimensions 5150 and
would like to install a hard drive from an old computer as the main
hard drive. The hard drive in the computer seems to have a different
type of connection than I've seen before and nothing I can do nothing
to make it boot from the older hard drive.
Is it possible to install a hard drive with the tradional connections
into Dell Dimension computers.
Thanks for your help
Regards
You don't want to do that. The new machine uses SATA hard drives, which are
higher in performance than the older PATA drive you are trying to install.
Install it temporarily by plugging it in where your CD/DVD drive is and then
clone it over to a SATA drive.

Tom
unknown
2006-07-21 13:28:12 UTC
Post by Tom Scales
Post by m***@dreamdates.co.uk
Hi
I don't know if this is possible, but I have a Dell Dimensions 5150 and
would like to install a hard drive from an old computer as the main
hard drive. The hard drive in the computer seems to have a different
type of connection than I've seen before and nothing I can do nothing
to make it boot from the older hard drive.
Is it possible to install a hard drive with the tradional connections
into Dell Dimension computers.
Thanks for your help
Regards
You don't want to do that. The new machine uses SATA hard drives, which are
higher in performance than the older PATA drive you are trying to install.
Install it temporarily by plugging it in where your CD/DVD drive is and then
clone it over to a SATA drive.
Tom
I'm not familiar with PATA or SATA and right now have an older P4
which uses the IDE interface. Tom, does the IDE interface have any
relationship to the PATA or SATA? Inotherwords, is IDE synonymous
with PATA?
hdrdtd
2006-07-21 13:48:04 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Tom Scales
Post by m***@dreamdates.co.uk
[...]
Yes, PATA (Parallel ATA) is used to refer to the older IDE interface you're
familier with. SATA (Serial ATA) refers to the newer interface newer system
use.

the older IDE (PATA) drives use a 40pin connector, and the newer SATA drives
use a completely different and smaller data cable. They are not
interchangeable.
unknown
2006-07-21 15:01:38 UTC
Post by hdrdtd
Post by unknown
Post by Tom Scales
Post by m***@dreamdates.co.uk
[...]
Thank you for the info. I just got a 500gb ide drive so I better keep
my old pc when I upgrade <grin>.
Tom Scales
2006-07-21 15:20:16 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by hdrdtd
Post by unknown
Post by Tom Scales
Post by m***@dreamdates.co.uk
[...]
It will still work as a data drive, rather than a boot drive. As long as
the new machine only has ONE DVD/CD drive, then the second connector can be
used for the 500GB drive.

Tom
unknown
2006-07-22 05:01:31 UTC
Post by Tom Scales
Post by unknown
Post by hdrdtd
Post by unknown
Post by Tom Scales
Post by m***@dreamdates.co.uk
[...]
Thanks Tom for the info.

I'll keep that in mind should I move the 500gb drive over. I'm not
contemplating a new pc (or more) till some time next year tho and the
only reason I forsee the need to get one (currently) is to have the
horsepower to run Vista inorder to learn it (I like keeping up with
the window OS's and prefer to wait till the Vista dust settles, if you
know what I mean). But for me right now, xp pro is fine.
Jack
2006-07-23 15:27:56 UTC
Slight(?) change of models.

How difficult would it be to install a larger hard drive in my INSPIRON 5150?

While having my laptop 'cleaned' the other day I inquired about replacing the
40g with an 80g drive. I was told I'd have to reinstall Windows(XP PRO) and all
applications.

Is there an easier way? I have an external USB HD wiith 150g available. Also
an external DVD burner, firewire or USB.
Tom Scales
2006-07-23 17:01:00 UTC
Post by Jack
Slight(?) change of models.
How difficult would it be to install a larger hard drive in my INSPIRON 5150?
While having my laptop 'cleaned' the other day I inquired about replacing
the 40g with an 80g drive. I was told I'd have to reinstall Windows(XP
PRO) and all applications.
Is there an easier way? I have an external USB HD wiith 150g available.
Also an external DVD burner, firewire or USB.
Purchase something like Ghost or True image (my preference) and create an
image to the external HD. Create an emergency boot CD.

Replace the hard drive. Restore the image. Reboot
Ben Myers
2006-07-23 19:35:17 UTC
Seagate has a very good and free tool to copy/clone a hard drive. I have used
it a number of times. Western Digital has one too, but it works only with
their drives. Seagate's works with any brand of drive... Ben Myers
Tom Scales
2006-07-23 20:06:45 UTC
The problem is that those utilities expect you to have both drives in the
machine, don't they? Do they support using a USB drive as an interim step?

Remember, this is a laptop.

Tom
Ben Myers
2006-07-24 02:42:19 UTC
Yes! I cloned my notebook drive twice, plugging it into the USB port.
Afterward, I replaced the notebook drive with the drive I had just cloned, and
it booted right up. The Seagate software runs entirely under Windows, so if it
can see a drive, it can make a clone out of it... Ben Myers
Jack
2006-07-24 10:37:18 UTC
Post by Ben Myers
Seagate has a very good and free tool to copy/clone a hard drive. I have used
it a number of times. Western Digital has one too, but it works only with
their drives. Seagate's works with any brand of drive... Ben Myers
Is that the 'SEATOOLS' application I see on their web site? It claims to be OS
independent...
Ben Myers
2006-07-24 12:03:10 UTC
My bad. I confuse myself at times. Seatools does not do disk cloning, but it
does have a neat name that sticks in my memory.

Seagate's DiskWizard is the one that clones the drives while running under
Windows. I have used DiskWizard successfully to clone to a second drive
connected to the computer variously as second IDE drive, external USB drive,
PCMCIA (aka PC Card) drive, and SCSI drive... Ben Myers
independent...
Jack
2006-07-24 10:34:13 UTC
Post by Tom Scales
Post by Jack
Slight(?) change of models.
How difficult would it be to install a larger hard drive in my INSPIRON 5150?
While having my laptop 'cleaned' the other day I inquired about replacing
the 40g with an 80g drive. I was told I'd have to reinstall Windows(XP
PRO) and all applications.
Is there an easier way? I have an external USB HD wiith 150g available.
Also an external DVD burner, firewire or USB.
Purchase something like Ghost or True image (my preference) and create an
image to the external HD. Create an emergency boot CD.
Replace the hard drive. Restore the image. Reboot
I have heard & read about Ghost & True Image; but also heard that you had to use
DOs to do the restore, and that there was no DOS support for USB. If I create
an emergency boot CD, what OS does it contain?
Tom Scales
2006-07-24 10:49:03 UTC
Post by Tom Scales
Post by Jack
Slight(?) change of models.
How difficult would it be to install a larger hard drive in my INSPIRON 5150?
While having my laptop 'cleaned' the other day I inquired about replacing
the 40g with an 80g drive. I was told I'd have to reinstall Windows(XP
PRO) and all applications.
Is there an easier way? I have an external USB HD wiith 150g available.
Also an external DVD burner, firewire or USB.
Purchase something like Ghost or True image (my preference) and create an
image to the external HD. Create an emergency boot CD.
Replace the hard drive. Restore the image. Reboot
I have heard & read about Ghost & True Image; but also heard that you had
to use DOs to do the restore, and that there was no DOS support for USB.
If I create an emergency boot CD, what OS does it contain?
I believe it is a variation of Caldera, but it DOES support USB drives.

Although if you can do it with Seatools, go that route
HDRDTD
Tom Scales
Jack Leister
2006-07-25 11:43:11 UTC
Tom, Ben, et al:

Thanks for the info...
m***@dreamdates.co.uk
2006-07-27 15:03:46 UTC
Hi

If I put my existing hard drive into a USB drive case then used it
externally to avoid all the internal connections, could I make it
bootable or would it still only be able to be used as a storage drive?

Thanks for your help
Tom Scales
2006-07-27 17:00:26 UTC
Storage. Neither XP nor Vista will boot from an external USB drive.

It WILL boot from an external eSATA drive. If you get a SATA drive in the
right case and run the cable out the back, you can boot it.

Tom
Thanks for your help
hdrdtd
2006-07-21 15:54:51 UTC
The 5150/E510 has room for two 5 1/4" drives at the top of the cabinet.
Normally these are optical drives and they use the 40-pin IDE interface.

If you wanted, you could buy a set of 3 1/2 to 5 1/4 drive rail adapters and
mount your 500gig at the top of the case using the second IDE connector.

Putting optical and HD's on the same IDE channel is not usually reccomended
because it's possible would not get the full performance of the HD. That is
why the earlier reccomendadtion against useing it as your boot drive.

However, it could still be installed in the new system and just used for
bulk storage of data files as long as performance is not critical when
accessing that drive.
Post by unknown
Post by hdrdtd
my old pc when I upgrade <grin>.
Tom Scales
2006-07-21 19:25:36 UTC
I agree with everything EXCEPT the comment about CD and hard drives on the
same channel. That hasn't been true for 3-4 years as the channels are
independent and each device runs at its own full speed.

Tom
Post by unknown
Post by hdrdtd
my old pc when I upgrade <grin>.
hdrdtd
2006-07-21 20:12:14 UTC
I wasn't sure if it was still a problem or not Tom, I know it used to be,
and I've always advoided doing it myself out of habit, but that's why I
mentioned it was 'possible' that you might not get full performance.

Thanks for correcting me Tom.
Post by unknown
Post by hdrdtd
my old pc when I upgrade <grin>.
yogibear
2006-08-07 03:18:07 UTC
Hi Guys

I also am thinking about ugrading my Inspiron 5150 hard drive
It may sound a bit naive - but can I use a SATA internal drive in thi
laptop
(The original drive is a "EIDE ATA 5" 30 GB drive.

Or do I have to stick to EIDE (or PATA) drives only ? :\

Thanks in advance, :)
-
Yog
Ben Myers
2006-08-07 03:33:55 UTC
Stick to EIDE/PATA. That's all the system is designed to take... Ben Myers
Hi Guys,
I also am thinking about ugrading my Inspiron 5150 hard drive.
It may sound a bit naive - but can I use a SATA internal drive in this
Thanks in advance, :)
Tom Scales

Thanks in advance, :)
yogibear
2006-08-07 15:11:17 UTC
Thanks guys - I'll get a PATA then..

And yes they do make SATA HDs for laptops ! See

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682214622

-
Post by Tom Scales
Do they even make laptop size SATA drives
Stick to EIDE/PATA. That's all the system is designed to take..
Be
Post by Tom Scales
Myer
Hi Guys
I also am thinking about ugrading my Inspiron 5150 hard drive
It may sound a bit naive - but can I use a SATA internal drive i
thi
[/quote:636a9c84e9
yogibear
2006-08-07 15:11:17 UTC
Thanks guys - I'll get a PATA then...
BTW - can I use an ATA 6 drive in thi
laptop ?
(Note that the current one is an EIDE ATA 5

[/quote:63286dbdab
yogibear

[/quote:de2cb0165f
Tom Scales
2006-08-07 18:46:43 UTC
Sure, any ATA drive will work. Just will run a little slower.
Post by yogibear
Thanks guys - I'll get a PATA then...
BTW - can I use an ATA 6 drive in this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146226
--
Yogi
[/quote:de2cb0165f]
m***@dreamdates.co.uk
2006-09-02 16:02:50 UTC
Does Windows 98 or ME boot from an external USB drive?

Thanks for you help
pen
2006-09-02 16:30:24 UTC
Only if your computer does. It's a BIOS thing.
m***@dreamdates.co.uk
2006-09-02 16:58:28 UTC
Where in the BIOS does it say if it will or not?

Thanks for your help
pen
2006-09-02 19:54:18 UTC
Post by m***@dreamdates.co.uk
Where in the BIOS does it say if it will or not?
Thanks for your help
Check the boot order choices if USB is listed or not.

Tom Scales
2006-09-02 16:31:00 UTC
Post by pen
Post by m***@dreamdates.co.uk
Does Windows 98 or ME boot from an external USB drive?
Thanks for you help
Only if your computer does. It's a BIOS thing.
Even then, I'd be surprised. I know Vista won't!